Haggai, Zechariah, & Malachi
Here are the "speaking the Bible" summaries for Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi.
In the second year of Darius the king, the word of the Lord came to Haggai the prophet. He says to consider their ways. They say its not time to build the Lord's house, yet they build their own. This is why they sow but reap little. He asks who remembers the temple in its former glory, how it seems like nothing now. But to take courage for the latter glory will be greater than the former.
- If its time for you to build your house, then its time for you to build His house.
- Build now.
- Take courage.
- Regardless of what has happened in the past, or what will happen in the future, be encouraged and build now.
The word of the Lord came to Zechariah in the 2nd year of Darius. He told them not to be like their fathers who did not listen to Him when He said to return to Him. The people repented. Zechariah had visions. The seventy years are up. The Lord will return to Jerusalem. His wrath on the nations who furthered the disaster appeased. The temple rebuilt. He is against the shepherds. His people wander. The nations of the earth will come against divided Jerusalem for battle. Judah will fight for it.
He will pour out the spirit of grace and supplication on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem so they will look on Him whom they pierced. The Branch will branch out and rebuild after the second temple's destruction. He will rule the whole earth. Jerusalem will be called the city of Truth and His mountain the holy mountain. The king is coming endowed with salvation. Humble on a donkey. His dominion from sea to sea. A fountain for sin and impurity. A remnant will be refined and tested and call on His name. The landscape changed, but Jerusalem will rise. The nations, families will come celebrate the feast of booths or suffer drought.
- Cry out to the Lord to remove the iniquity of the land.
- Lord, change our unclean clothes.
- It's not by power or might, but by Your Spirit.
- Lay the foundation. Finish Your dwelling place. Come live among us.
- Carry the wickedness away.
- Send the rain.
- The Branch will build and rule from His throne, endowed with salvation.
- His dominion from sea to sea.
- He will shepherd His flock and make them like His majestic horse in battle.
- O People, walk in His name. Dispense justice. Practice kindness. Don't oppress. Don't devise evil in your heart. Love truth and peace.
- The fountain opened, idols and false prophets removed. The refined and tested remnant will call upon the name of their God and be His people.
- When the nations are gathered against Jerusalem the Lord will defend.
- Judah will fight.
- The mountain will split, the plague sent, the landscape changed, but Jerusalem will rise holy to the Lord.
The Lord, through Malachi, speaks to Israel and says He's loved them. They ask how? He says He's loved Jacob and hated Esau. He asks where is His honor as a father. Priests defile His altar, offering blemished sacrifices. Would they do that for their governor? He tells the priests if they don't listen, He'll send a curse and He has already. They've corrupted the covenant of Levi. Levi had true instruction in his mouth. No unrighteousness in his lips. He walked with God and turned many back from iniquity. The lips of a priest should preserve knowledge. Men should seek instruction from them.
Why deal treacherously with each other whom you have the same father with? They profaned the sanctuary and married daughters of foreign gods. You cry when your offerings are not accepted, but it's because you deal treacherously with your wife. Not one who has a remnant of the Spirit has done so. You've wearied the Lord with words, calling one who does evil good. He will send His Messenger who will clear the way. The Lord will come suddenly to His temple. But who can endure that day? He will come to purify the sons of Levi so they may present Judah and Jerusalem's offerings in righteousness and the Lord will be pleased. He will judge those who do wrong and turn from Him. They are robbing Him in tithes and offerings. He says to bring the whole tithe into the storehouse so there will be meat in His house. He will open the windows of heaven and bless them abundantly. All nations will call you blessed and you will be a delightsome land.
Your words have been arrogant saying its vain to serve God. Those who feared the Lord spoke to one another. The Lord gave attention and a book of remembrance was written. They will be His and He will spare them. A day is coming when the wicked will be burned up. Neither root nor branch left. To those who fear His name, the sun of righteousness will arise with healing in its wings. Remember the law of Moses. He is sending Elijah the prophet before that day. He will restore the heart of the children to the father and father to the children.
- The lips of a priest are to preserve knowledge.
- Men should be able to seek instruction from them.
- Listen, priests, don't defile the altar.
- Walk in righteousness with the Spirit of God.
- Receive the purification and cleansing of the Lord.
- Present offerings in righteousness. The Lord will be pleased.
- Handle His offerings with honor and integrity.
- Preserve, perpetuate the knowledge and instruction of the Lord and His ways uprightly and without partiality. You will be blessed and your nation a delightsome land.
- Listen and fear the Lord.
- Speak to and instruct one another. He will pay attention, remember and spare you on the day when He returns. When the day burns the chaff and the sun rises with healing for those who fear His name.
Old Testament Thoughts
- Honor the Lord. Fear Him. Seek His ways sincerely.
- He knows. He hears. He sees. He loves.
- He made it all. He is worthy of all fear, praise, worship, respect, honor, and obedience.
- Don't follow false gods, idols, greed, lust, arrogance.
- Don't mistreat others--especially the widows, orphans, poor, and strangers.
- Be honest. Fair. Truthful. Keep your word.
- If you sin, repent and return to the Lord.
- Don't despise His correction.
- Accept His judgment as right.
- Don't rebel.
- Seek Him. Ask of Him.
- Know that He loves you as a Father. He is jealous, protective. Wants what is best for you.
- Listen to His instruction, His warnings. Pay attention.
- Don't follow the crowd or even traditions without seeking out truth for yourself from the Lord.
- There is no way to avoid His ultimate judgment.
- The righteous will be blessed, favored, and taken care of abundantly, saved from the punishment reserved for the wicked and evil who reject God and His ways.
- Walk with Him in humility, faith, love, justice, righteousness, and in peace with others.