Nahum, Habakkuk, & Zephaniah
Here are the "speaking the Bible" summaries for Nahum, Habakkuk, and Zephaniah.
The oracle of Nineveh, 150 years after Jonah. It was the most populated and largest city of Assyria. After capturing Israel before Judah's exile. The vision of Nahum.
- The power, resources, and influence of the wicked nations who plot against the Lord will be brought to nothing.
- The Lord is slow to anger and great in power, but will not leave the guilty unpunished.
- He is good.
- He is a stronghold in the day of trouble.
- He knows those who take refuge in Him, yet He will make an end of whatever is devised against Him.
The oracle of Habakkuk the prophet. He asks how can the Lord use the wicked to judge the righteous when justice is perverted when the wicked are in authority. He waits to hear how the Lord will answer him. The Lord says to write it plainly so it can be easily read, for it is for an appointed time in the future. Wait for it. The Lord speaks of sin and the woes which come because of it. The idols have no power, but the Lord is in His holy temple. Let all the earth be silent before Him. Habakkuk asks the Lord to remember mercy in His wrath, and speaks of His glory and splendor. Even though distress is coming, he trusts in the Lord and rejoices in the God of his salvation.
- Justice is perverted when the wicked rule the righteous.
- Will the Lord use the wicked to judge the righteous? If so, the wicked will be judged as well.
- All the earth trembles at the presence of the Lord. The nations will too.
- During any distress, rejoice in the God of your salvation.
- He is your strength, and makes you to walk on the high places of the earth.
The word of the Lord to Zephaniah, a descendant of Hezekiah in the days of Josiah, king of Judah. A day of wrath, trouble, distress, destructions, desolation, darkness, gloom, clouds, and thick darkness is near. Silver and gold will not be able to deliver them. Seek the Lord, perhaps you will be hidden in the day of His anger. All the earth will be devoured by the fire of His zeal. Then He will give the people purified lips to call on the name of the Lord and to serve Him shoulder to shoulder. The proud will be removed and He will leave a humble and lowly people who take refuge in the name of the Lord. Shout in triumph and rejoice.
- In judgement the Lord does no injustice.
- Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth, you who have carried out His ordinances.
- Seek righteousness and humility.
- A humble and lowly people take refuge in the name of the Lord.