As I explained in my December 7, 2019 post, I am reading the entire Bible out loud over a one year period and proclaiming it over the land. I'm also writing down summaries of the chapters and books as I read. Here are the summaries for Mark.
John the Baptist came preaching repentance, preparing the way for Jesus. Jesus came to him to be baptized and then went to the wilderness to be tempted for 40 days. After John was arrested Jesus began to preach, first in Capernaum. He called twelve disciples. He healed many and cast out demons throughout Galilee. He ate with sinners, forgave sin, was accused by the Pharisees, elders, chief priests, and scribes. They conspired to destroy Him. His family thought He lost His senses, but crowds followed Him constantly.
He taught from the boat to crowds on the shore. He spoke in parables, but explained everything to His disciples. He explained the kingdom of God to them. He healed people and cast out demons in various ways and places. He raised the dead. He went to His hometown and couldn't do much because of their unbelief. He sent out the twelve giving them authority to heal, cast out demons and preach repentance. John was beheaded.
Jesus fed the 4000 and 5000 by multiplying loaves of bread and fish. He walked on water, calmed the storms. He taught and offended the scribes and Pharisees. He healed a non-Jew because of her faith. He asked who the people thought He was and who they thought He was. When they knew He was the Christ He told them what was going to happen to Him. He took Peter, James, and John to the mountain where He was transfigured and spoke with Moses and Elijah. When He came down He found His disciples unable to cast out a demon. He explained prayer was necessary.
They debated over who was greatest among them. He said whoever wishes to be great, let him be servant of all. Anyone who receives a child in His name receives Him. They stopped someone from casting out a demon in His name who wasn't with them. He told them not to stop him. He said no one should cause the little ones to stumble. If a body part causes you to sin--hand, foot, eye--cut it off. Have salt in you and be at peace with each other. He said it was hard for the rich to enter the kingdom after speaking with a rich man who was not willing to sell all and follow Him.
He entered Jerusalem on two colts. He overthrew the money changer's tables. He cursed the fig tree and it withered. He spoke of faith--believe and it will happen. Ask in prayer. He continued to be accused and questioned by the religious leaders. He spoke to them in parables. They tried to trick Him in His words. He gave the two great commandments--love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength and your neighbor as yourself. He warned of the scribes and Pharisees teaching. He spoke of the widow giving more than all the rich people because they gave from their surplus, her from her need.
They asked about the end days and He spoke of signs to watch for to know when its close and how to get by during that time. Deception, betrayal. Yet He will return so watch and stay alert. You can know the season, but not the hour. The woman with the alabaster oil anointed Him for burial. The last supper. Judas' betrayal and Jesus' arrest. He was accused of blasphemy, condemned by the crowds who listened to the chief priests. He was beaten, mocked, and crucified. He died but rose again after three days like He said, being first seen by Mary Magdalene. She wasn't believed and neither was the two who saw Him on the road. But He appeared to the eleven, gave them instructions, ascended into heaven and they went and preached everywhere with Him confirming the word with signs following.
- Desperate crowds pressed on Jesus for healing and deliverance.
- The religious leaders accused and criticized Him.
- His family was embarrassed of Him.
- He gave authority to His disciples.
- Listen with the ear of a disciple.
- Observe with a teachable heart.
- Receive His authority with humility.
- Do the work of the kingdom alongside Jesus.
- Many people crowded around Him while He was teaching and displaying His power. Like many seeds planted in soil, but which seeds will take root, grow, and produce fruit. How many will? One seed that grows and takes root will do more than a crowd of seeds which don't.
- Don't be afraid, just believe.
- Touch Him in faith and go and tell the great things He's done for you.
- The commandments of God are what gives life. The traditions of men don't carry the power and compassion of God.
- Let that which flows from your heart be of His Spirit, His word, not just the logic and reasonings of man.
- Follow Him close enough to understand what He means. To know who He is. To listen to Him. To pray. To be like Him--a servant of all. To be humble. To receive and protect His little ones, To maim yourself before sinning--cutting off that which would cause you to sin.
- Keep your salty flavor and be at peace with each other.
- The words of Jesus corrected people's thoughts about marriage, divorce, children, riches, and eternal life.
- His words explained faith and confronted, as light, the darkness of the religious.
- His words are light and life, receive them as such.
- If they would have understood the Scriptures, they would have known He was the Christ and spoke truth.
- They spoke to argue and trick, not learn and judge.
- Outward appearances of respect and honor by men do not compare to the humble and sacrificial actions which get God's attention.
- Watch and remain faithful and alert. His words will all come to pass.
- The cost of worship is more beneficial than being paid for betrayal.
- Betrayal doesn't pay, it costs. Greatly.
- Would watching and praying with Him have prevented abandoning Him and denying Him during the most trying time of the Lord's life?
- Ultimately, He was falsely judged as a liar and fraud.
- Worship prevails over betrayal, denial, abandonment, and false judgment.
- Keep watching and praying so you are not tempted.
- The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.
- Believe what He says and believe when it happens. It may not be as you expected, but it will display His heart and His power.
- Look past what appears to be defeat and into the strategy of the Father to bring a greater salvation.